The Short 2nd Life of Bree Tanner by Stephenie Meyer


Title: The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner
Author: Stephenie Meyer
Series: Twilight Companion Novel
Source: Available for free online
Format: E-book
Genre: Speculative fiction - Paranormal
Synopsis (from Goodreads):
Bree Tanner can barely remember life before she had uncannily powerful senses, superhuman reflexes and unstoppable physical strength. Life before she had a relentless thirst for blood... life before she became a vampire. All Bree knows is that living with her fellow newborns has few certainties and even fewer rules: watch your back, don't draw attention to yourself and, above all, make it home by sunrise or die. What she doesn't know: her time as an immortal is quickly running out.

The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner is a short novella that chronicles the life of a newborn vampire named Bree Tanner. I believe that the fate that has befallen this minor character in Eclipse has already been known by everyone, though how everything begins is a total mystery – until now. Acting more like a gap-filler, this book explains what happen before the war between this army of young vampires and the Cullens, how they were recruited and what kind of lies that was fed by their leaders to make sure that they follow their commands.

While I liked reading the saga, I found that this book fell a bit flat for me. I know the main focus of this book is on Bree though I believe that Meyer could add more substance by elaborating on the other characters or her relationship with them as well. I truly need more for this book to totally grab my interest. All in all, this book is just OK for me but I’ve no doubt that those who really love the saga will find this book enjoyable as well.

Favourite Quote: I’d never been a fan of fire. This might have been because of some buried childhood memory, or maybe it was more recent. Becoming a vampire was enough fire to last me - Bree



P.S. Have you read this book? If you have, let me know what you think!

4 comments:

  1. like i expected sounds like an average read glad i didn't buy it, thanks for the insight! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was expecting more from this book, I guess. While it was nice to catch a new glimpse of the Cullen's (it's been so long!) the book itself about Bree wasn't anything special. In my opinion. I felt her relationship with other people were rushed and I don't know... it was a decent book, but it felt like it was missing something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review, Shy, just too bad you didn't enjoy the story all that much.

    I just loved this book and for me this is one of Meyer's best books(first comes The Host for me and then the first book in the Saga).

    ReplyDelete