The Gift by Cecelia Ahern

Title: The Gift
Author: Cecelia Ahern
Series: Stand alone book
Source: Bought
Publisher: HarperCollins
Format: Paperback
Pages: 305 Pages
Genre: Women's Fiction - Chick Lit
Overall Rating:

Synopsis (from the book cover):
Lou Suffern wishes he could be in two places at once. His constant battle with the clock is a sensitive issue with his wife and family. Gabe is the homeless man who sits outside Lou's office. When Lou invites Gabe into the building and into his life, Lou's world is changed beyond all measure... An enchanting and thoughtful Christmas story that speaks to all of us about the value of time and what is truly important in life.
First Sentence: If you were to stroll down the candy-cane facade of a suburban housing estate early on Christmas morning, you couldn't help but observe how the houses in all their tinselled glory are akin to the wrapped parcels that lie beneath the Christmas trees within.

My Review: One thing that I love most about Cecelia is that she has an incredible talent in deciphering human’s complexities through her writing. Even though she tends to use a roundabout, difficult analogy to explain something, she did that beautifully and I found myself enchanted in the story she built. In The Gift, Cecelia once again brought magical elements into her writing and without doubt, it managed to catch my interest from the very beginning.

The theme behind The Gift is fairly simple. It is a story being told by a policeman to a young felon about another man in town (Lou Suffern), who has just learn his lessons that the most important thing is how you live your life today and not how you plan it to be tomorrow, because sometimes – tomorrow never comes. Lou Suffern is a workaholic who becomes a friend to Gabe, a homeless man. Series of mysterious events occur after they tied their friendship where opportunities after opportunities offered to Lou to spend more time with his family. But as a future driven man, he turned everything down until some heartbreaking events occur, that shake the ground on which he stands. The story pinpoints the preciousness of time and that love and devotion is something that money cannot buy.

From the other reviews I’ve read, I understand that this is not the kind of book that works for everyone. The story might be depressing, sombre, slow and predictable, but in the end, there surely something to be learnt, kept and remembered by everyone. The whole parts in this book contain Christmas miracle cliché but if you devour this during the right time, I’ve no doubt that this could be an enjoyable read.

Final Verdict: A book well worth reading by those who not just enjoy the story spread by the author, but also the messages that she insinuates in between the line.

Memorable Quote: Time is more precious than gold, more precious than diamonds, more precious than oil or any valuable treasures. It is time that we do not have enough of; it is time that causes the war within our hearts, and so we must spend it wisely.

8 comments:

  1. to tell you the truth, i've never read any of ahern's works. i don't know, i just avoid to read any of hers.even reading a great review from yours, i just cant even think of myself read hers.maybe some other time.i dont know what kind of grudges i have against her. *LOL*

    p/s: that's is a great review Shy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Darlyn: *lol* I'd say that it is good to try something out of our usual niche sometimes. A good change never hurts, and who knows, you might find something that engaged your interest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I read the description of the book it kind of reminded me of that movie with Nicholas Cage..family..something..I loved that movie and thought it was great. This book sounds similiar but yet different in a way. I like the sound of it! Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading between the lines. Thanks for the lovely review :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Didn't Cecelia Ahern write P.S. I Love You? Her name sounds so familiar! and this book..sounds kinda "It's a Wonderful Life". I should read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Cecelia Ahern. Her book Rosie Dunne is one of my all time favorites!! I'll have to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read anything by Ahern yet, but I had wanted to read The Gift this past Christmas and just ran out of time. I'll have to keep in mind for next Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. does anyone have a detailed review of that book ?

    ReplyDelete